Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Harmony

Both of our presenters today mentioned the idea of "harmony." In between the presentations, we visited a Buddhist temple. It's a nice theme for the day.

This will be just a quick post to say that our afternoon speaker, retired Professor Wu Qing, was incredibly inspiring. I'm not going to do her justice to try to describe her talk, but I'll quickly say that she is the fittest 76 year old woman I've met, and she lived through some hard times during the Cultural Revolution because her parents were very high in the intellectual class, and she herself is highly educated.

Her peacefulness and presence reminded me a lot of my Great-Aunt Barbara who passed away just over a year ago. So, I just wanted to post some quotes and a couple of photos:

Wu Qing said today:

"I am a verb. I always take action."

"Education is about heart and soul. It is not just about passing on knowledge and skills. That is not enough."

"Let's all be verbs, as well as global citizens."

Wu Qing and me today

Aunt Barbara is second from the left. This is from the 70's or 80's. I wish she could have met Wu Qing. I think they would have hit it off!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. This is a blog I'm using for my school community. Please be nice!